Press and Publicity Officer attached to the Office of the President now Ministry of the Presidency, Kwame McCoy has been dismissed by Government even though the officer is still on medical leave after receiving serious injuries from an attack which occurred on Election Day, May 11 this year.
This followed McCoy having to be rescued by then Opposition Leader, now President David Granger and Minister of State Joseph Harmon from a belligerent mob at a polling station at St Sidwell’s Primary School in Georgetown while he was performing his duties on behalf of the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) on Election Day. After the two A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) officials left the scene and Mc Coy was being driven away, missiles were thrown by supporters of APNU and the Alliance For Change (AFC) coalition at McCoy which connected with his mouth and other parts of his face. He suffered lacerations and serious injuries to those body parts, and is now wearing a metal bracer in his mouth. He was hospitalised at the Georgetown Public Hospital and his injuries were clear in a photo published in this newspaper.
The letter, written and signed by Harmon, who is also Head of the Presidential Secretariat, was dated June 8, 2015.
It stated that McCoy was being dismissed for not reporting for duty since May 12, 2015.
“Your dismissal will take effect from 31 May 2015. As a result of your dismissal, all of your emoluments are forfeited,” the correspondence said.
McCoy in response to Harmon’s letter acknowledged its receipt, but reminded the Minister that he was injured and hospitalised since May 11, 2015.
“…and a message about my hospitalisation was communicated to the Office of the President and subsequently two weeks’ sick leave certificates were delivered to the Personnel Department covering an initial seven days and a subsequent 28 days,” McCoy said.
He also advised Harmon that his sick leave ends on June 16, 2015.
“I, therefore, ask that you review your position as my circumstances do make me eligible for benefits,” McCoy appealed in his response.
He also advised Harmon that he was sending a copy of his response to the Head of the PPP/C Transition Group.
When contacted by Guyana Times on Friday, McCoy said that he felt that he was being targeted and victimised.
“Mr Harmon and the Administration at the Office of the President are fully aware of my situation. This dismissal letter is unfair, null and void and vexatious,” he argued.
He said that he was concerned that all of his benefits were ripped away despite him upholding the tenets of his contract.
Efforts to contact Minister Harmon for a comment proved futile.
So far, several Government functionaries, officials and Permanent Secretaries have been dismissed after the new Administration came into power.
This is despite the fact that President Granger said that there would be no witch-hunting and his Government was not interested in settling political scores.